Friday, June 13, 2008

Kluang Sunrise.



I left my companions in Paloh and headed for Kluang along a road I had not driven before. I woke up early the next morning and when I looked out the window, saw the first ray of the new sun. I reached for my camera but the shot was less than desirable because the hotel window was heavily tinted blue.


I did not have my slippers with me and I did not want to change to my long pants. So in my leather shoes and in my Bermuda shots, I peeped through my hotel door. Seeing no one around, I oddly attired ran to the hotel lift.


I pressed the button for the highest floor - 19 if I am not mistaken. When the door opened, I still have to climb two level of stairs to reach the roof. I was gambling on the door to the roof not been locked and I was lucky. And there was no one around. I was at the roof and the highest point in Kluang town. I have the roof and the sunrise all to myself. I wondered then how many Kluang residents have seen the sun rising up from the distant hills. I breathed in the crisp morning air and felt the rush of cold air filling my lung. I took out my camera and took this series of Kluang sunrise shots just as the sun was breaking out.


The hills was still darkly silhouetted in the background and dense clouds formed another dark layer just about it. But there was a break in between these two dark masses and where the sun rays struck the sky was like a sea of molten gold. It was beautiful. I could not help feeling pleased with myself, risking ridicule to enjoy this beautiful view. Apollo must have deemed fit to reward me with this wondrous sight.


The sky was changing by the minutes. The shifting clouds played a large part in the change and it covered up or dispersed to reveal the sun.


Depending on its action, the scenery can changed from being pensive and moody to cheerful and promising. I enjoyed every minute of it and felt a closeness with nature. I was calm, contented and strangely fulfilled.


Sometimes the rays would shot out through the break of the cloud and it made one think of God. I enjoyed the feeling that most of the town was still asleep but I was alone up on the highest point surveying the town sleeping below.


The distant hill was covered by a layer of mist at its foothills giving it a dreamy look.


There were a number of flags planted around the building. They were still wet from last night's rain and hanged down by the weight and the absence of breeze.


I walked round the roof and took in the scenery of Kluang. I have made a number of trips here before and always to see someone close. But I had never been close to the town itself - until that day. Now I shall always remember the morning when I was alone with the sunrise on the roof of Kluang.


I have not realized the beauty of Kluang which I was seeing for the first time. But having seen it once, I will never look at it again the same. We now shared a secret between us.


As the sun rose higher, it was getting brighter. I had to be getting back as the chance of discovery was much higher now. Also, I had to get ready for an early breakfast appointment. I did not know exactly how long I was up there, half an hour or more?


When I looked up into the sky, the black and gray has now turned blue. But they were partially hidden by white clumps of cotton spread over the entire sky. The golden yellow is now turning to a lighter shade of yellow as the day took hold.


Reluctantly, I pulled myself from the scene and headed for the stairs. As I crossed through the open doors, I could not resist turning to have a last look at the beginning of a glorious day.


No comments: