Wednesday, February 20, 2008

A Visit To Dong Zen Temple 2008 - #3


As the evening deepened, the world took on a deeper shade and the sky reflected from the window is now a deeper blue. But they contrasted beautifully with the just lighted lanterns of yellow and red.



Even as I continued shooting, the blue deepened further. And the lanterns all appeared much brighter. As one world waned, another took its place and shined. The lanterns reflected from the window were interesting to me for they changed as I changed the angles with which to view them. Since I was in a spiritual place, I suddenly turned philosophical – “The windows are the same. The lanterns are the same. But how they appeared depends on how we choose to view them”. At that moment I had a sudden realisation, I will not have cut it as a philosopher.



But they sure looked different as I tilted my camera.


It is always interesting to watch other photographer at work. What did they see? What can I learned from them? And I couldn’t help wondering – did anyone see those lanterns on the windows as I saw? Did they see the same beauty?



The night approached to rule the world and the lights burst out to dispel the dark. Each is more beautiful because of the other.


I was not done with lanterns yet. They have a charm all their own. And a single lantern in a house can changed its entire mood. As it will if we walk down a deep wooded path on a night without moon. From the balcony of an upper floor, I took this shot with the lighted frame of the opposite building standing out against the black sheeted night.



So many angles were beautiful to me. Straight or slanting.


Close-up or far away. Single or a multitude. They are a pleasing sight.


While hanging from the roof, a gentle breeze blew. Gently swaying them just enough to lift some of their tails.


I walked out into the yard to view a golden Buddha sitting on a throne of lights so bright I have to turn my eyes away.


While a serene Goddess of Mercy continuously blessed all with an endless stream of holy water.


Another Buddha in a glass pagoda with changing colored lights.


As I walked away, the studious monk was still pointing the way to salvation. But I was walking the opposite way. The path was shown. But the choice is ours to make. I just hope that the different paths we choose leads to the same heaven.


Dragons in a roll spitting water.


But the images that lingered were that of the humble lanterns.


This lovely little horse followed me back home and now sat among my books in the glass drawer. And when asked, I told them I got it for free in Dong Zen Temple. If you would like to have one, visit the temple and look out for it. If it is in your karma, another little horse will follow you home.



No comments: