Saturday, March 22, 2008

The Atlanta Hotel, Bangkok - #7 (The Lobby).



This is the oldest Bangkok hotel lobby in its original state. It is also the most photographed hotel lobby in Thailand. It has a charm all its own. I’m not a great fan of retro look but have to admit that in Atlanta’s case, it did not appear cheap or glitzy but classy and unique.


This view is taken as I was descending from the stairs which is on the right of the first photo.


The switchboard is positively antique. I never expect to admire the beauty of a switchboard.


So is this simple chandelier hanging from the ceiling. At the bottom left of the picture is the rule and information book containing all sorts of interesting info that is both enlightening and amusing.


On ground level, this is the view from one end of the small lobby. Towards the end is the library and computers with internet connections. It has added some modern amenities.


This is the view of the other end showing the curving stairs and a reading corner.


This is the place you can sit to wait for your guest or to do some reading. The picture handing on the wall is that of the founder, Dr. Max Henn, a German adventurer, pharmacologist, boatbuilder and munitions-manufacturer.


That’s me taking a photo of the mirror showing the portrait of Mukda Buresbamrungkarn, a Thai aristocrat who married Dr. Max Henn.


The lobby is not a large empty space as most hotels are but many little corners having its own individual character.







This is our final look at this famous hotel lobby before we leaved. I’m sure I’ll be back one day. Would not mind staying here for an extended period of time while I took the opportunity to explore Bangkok and be one of the guests the hotel is famous for – “gentleman of leisure”.


As I left, I reminded of the little things in this hotel that made my stay there worthwhile. This seemed to be exemplified by the modern doll with hands clasped in a traditional Thai welcome next to this antique summoning bell on the reception table.


The End.


1 comment:

mgriffin said...

Your wonderful photos of the Atlanta Hotel bring back sweet memories of the great times my wife and I had at this very special place. Thank you very much for the pleasure to see all these details again.