Monday, March 24, 2008

A Walk Through The Town Of Lubeck - #1


Think I will have a change of pace and place in Ghost Walk and take you to Lubeck, Germany which I visited in Summer last year. Lubeck is the second largest city in Northern Germany and one of its major port.


This is the Holstentor or “HolstenGate” and formed part of the medieval fortification of the city. Most of the former outer fortifications had been destroyed and there are no longer any evident of their existence. Holstentor now housed a museum about the city’s history.


This plaque is on one of the wall of the arch (connecting the two round towers) that we walked under.


This is the miniature representation of the city in medieval time. Noticed the massive fortifications that extended beyond Holsten’s Gate. Many of the buildings in the mock-up are still standing.


On the top floor, several stories up, I took this series of pictures with my maximum zoom. They were tricky shots trying to capture the bright images through the tiny observations windows of the darkened room. So I positioned my camera on one of the ancient torture machine used to stretch the victims drawing amusement from other patrons of the museum. The consolation was I was happy with some of the shots I took.




This picture is one of a series I took of a weary traveler taking a rest not knowing she is being observed and shot. You can see the rest of the pictures by clicking on this - “View From A Tower Window”.


This is the back view of Holstein Gate. It is not optical illusion (though that exaggerated the effect) for the building is tilting and sinking slightly.


This is the view of the town which is actually an island surrounded by waterways. The road appeared wide because this is the main entrance into town but they gradually gave way to picturesque small roads and alleys. Lubeck was quite heavily bombed during the Second Second War and sustained heavy damages.


This is the side view of the Lubeck Cathedral. We will entering soon to have a look. It is a majestic building. Noted the unglazed brown bricks and compared the against the glazed black bricks below.


This is the Town Hall. The coats of arms and emblems really stood out against the glazed black bricks. Although a little grim, they gave the building a an imposing look.


Here the white painted building contrasted against the black and brown tiles and green protruding spires.


Here is another view. This is the beginning of my walk. Accompanying me was a good German friend Hendrik who luckily for me also liked to go for long walks and who is very tolerant of my photo taking as he also do the same in his travel. Tune in and go for a walk with me through the town of Lubeck and see what I saw.


To be continued...


No comments: