Sunday, May 25, 2008

Trip To Yong Peng #2 - Then Eng Hin Chinese Biscuits.



We decided to drop into this shop (Eng Hin) selling traditional Chinese biscuits and cakes for my colleague to take home. It is mooncake season. I had bought a box of mooncake to take with me so I’m okay. Anyway I stepped in to have a look.


There were many varieties of oriental biscuits available for sales.


Freshly baked aromatic biscuits are arranged in a circular pattern in a large round rattan basket. The white pieces in the picture had not yet been baked. The little boy is playing with the Teo Chew mooncake stamping machine. Teo Chew mooncake is actually a biscuit which is quite different from the usual types of mooncake sold during this period. Watch out for your hand, kid.


These workers who are family members are transferring the filled dough onto the baking pans for baking in the gas fired oven. Baking only takes a few minutes.


These are how the looked like baked. They may not be very pretty looking but quite tasty. The fillings are groundnut paste that is sweet and slightly savory. They have a short shelf life and are generally eaten fresh not longer than a day.


This is a different variety topped with sesame seeds giving it an additional flavor.


The workers were a little suspicious of me clicking away with my camera. The owner came out and asked me why I was taking the photos. I gave him my sweetest smile and engaged in conversation of the production of his oh so delicious biscuits. He then invited me to the back of the shop which is his production area. He also made wet noodles for sales. We discussed on the qualities of flour for producing the various products. He told me a familiar story of first generation Malaysian Chinese who migrated from China with nothing but the shirt on his back and successfully build up a thriving business.


We bought the biscuits we wanted when her pregnant daughter-in-law stopped us just as we were about to depart. She insisted on presenting a box of Teo Chew mooncake for our journey. What nice people you find in small towns.


No comments: