Tuesday, January 1, 2008

HAPPY NEW YEAR! HAPPY 2008!



Let me welcome all the readers of Ghost Walk to a Happy & Prosperous 2008 with a blast of colors. And what better ways to do that with flowers. This morning, I went to my favorite Orchid farm in Subang opposite the old airport. I always buy my orchids from there as they are owned by very nice people who through the years have become friends.


Chinese like to buy what is commonly called “Kor Nin Far” (New Year Flowers) to brighten up the homes during the Chinese New Year (falling on the 7 & 8 of February this year). They are usually of very vibrant colors, the favorite of which are red symbolizing prosperity and orange symbolizing gold. These flowers are usually grown in the highlands and not really suitable for the warmer climate of the city. Besides, they are pumped full of hormone to get them to bloom gloriously for the duration of the CNY after which they just withered away.


I bought orchids for the Chinese New Year and I bought them usually a month early. I selected those with just buds and flowers and it will bloom just before CNY and last easily 1 to 2 months longer. We are able to get the plants to continue flowering for us the rest of the year. This is the reason why I prefer orchids over other more popular flowers. Besides, I am not one who believes that fortune can be ushered in by auspicious sounds or good luck charms.


But I believe that appreciation of objects of beauty can lifts one’s mood and that is auspicious enough for me. And there are fewer objects more beautiful than flowers. So this morning, I went back to the orchid farm to favorably usher in 2008 and share them with you through these photographs. Family, Friends, Relatives & Readers; have a good year and may you stay as beautiful as these flowers. Enjoy! One Flower for each month of the year –


January


February








March













April















May














June










July


August








September














October








November


December


To make everyone extra happy, here are more pictures hoping that your years too will come with pleasant surprises.


A rooster strutted through the main gate trumpeting his arrival even though it is mid-day. May your God of Prosperity make as great an entrance.

A "Dancing Lady" symbolizing romance - may your year be as romantic.


Firecrackers orchids (took some liberty here) - may your year be as explosively great.




And as beautiful.


HAPPY NEW YEAR! HAPPY 2008!


No comments: